Saturday, December 5, 2020

What is Christmas?

 

When I think about Christmas lots of things enter my mind. All good things that are happy and upbeat. There are so many things that I don't think I have enough room on my paper to list them all. 

When I was just a kid many years ago the most noticeable thing was the snow. Yes I grew up in Chicago, but back in those days we had a lot of snow. Looking out of our living room window when we saw the snow we knew it was Christmas.

After bundling up, I hated putting on a snow suit, we were off to downtown Chicago to see the Christmas parade. Marching bands playing delightful Christmas music set the mood in cheerful hearts. Then there was a variety of floats along with celebrities like the mayor and movie stars. Standing with the crowd on the sidewalk was fun. 

Finally Santa Clause with eight reindeer and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer came and brought the parade to a close. Kids mixed cheers with tears because they didn't want to go home.

Next it was window shopping at several department stores. The problem was that I was a short little guy and adults crowded close to the windows. It was a losing situation for me.

But there was still hope. Eventually we went inside to keep warm. Without hesitation I headed directly for the toy department. I spent a long time in each toy department. Needless to say my mother was patient with me. Besides visiting with Santa Clause could there be anything more important than toys? Christmas was a fun time of the year.

So what is Christmas to you? Perhaps it's a decorated Christmas tree. Maybe gifts, delicious food, and gathering with friends and relatives. Could there be anything better?

If you enjoy upbeat conversation that will chase your troubles away, we invite you to sign up for our free newsletter at https://aw1283c2.aweb.page/cornerlotsbaseball. Meanwhile have a Merry Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment